First of all, I’d like to say a big “thank you” to Costa Rice Travel Blog for nominating thefriendlygiraffe for this award! I am very touched to be connected with the “Very Inspiring Blogger Award” as inspiring other people (writers, travelers, readers or dreamers) is exactly what this blog was intended to do. Initially, it was to fulfill a void in my own storage of inspiration. I wanted to write about something I loved (actually, I just wanted to write, period) and thus, thefriendlygiraffe was born.
Starting this blog inspired me to get creative about content, put my pen to paper (or fingers to they keyboard) and stay disciplined in updating a growing readership of like-minded individuals wanting to learn about the world outside themselves. In short, receiving a blog for being inspiring simply inspires me to keep writing and reminds me why I started this blog in the first place.
Rules and Regs of the “Very Inspiring Blogger Award”
- Display the Award Certificate on your website.
- Announce your win with a post and link to whoever presented you with the award.
- Present 15 awards to deserving bloggers.
- Drop them a comment to tip them off after you have linked them in the post.
- Post 7 interesting things about yourself
7 Travel memories to last a lifetime
So, what are 7 interesting things about thefriendlygiraffe? Well, let’s switch things up a bit shall we? Instead of listing facts that you may (or may not) find interesting about me, here are my top 7 travel memories (in no particular order and any of which could be rivaled by a million others along the way): Continue reading “Very Inspiring Blogger Award: A lovely reminder of why I blog”
Welcome to thefriendlygiraffe! Thefriendlygiraffe is a travel and lifestyle blog covering anything, and everything, of interest to… well… me… and it has just been nominated for a Liebster Blog Award! The award is given out by bloggers to bloggers who are up and coming and in the process of making a name for themselves in the industry!
I was recently by nominated by Kristy at The Gobetrotting Canuck (thank you Kristy) and, in the spirit of following the rules and spreading the blog love, here is my follow-up post!
1. Share 11 random facts about yourself
2. Answer the 11 questions from the person who nominated you
3. Nominate 11 new bloggers and ask them 11 questions
11 Random facts about myself
- I bent down on all fours and kissed the ground the first time I visited Paris.
- I have a broken thumb on my left hand from soccer years ago which makes me, technically, half monkey – and only half giraffe.
- I’m a morning person and have been known to yell “Good Morning” out the window on particularly sunny days.
- I’m naturally strawberry blonde, but considering my clumsy nature, I’m still waiting for the strawberry to kick in.
- I am an avid believer in getting what you give. Do good, and good things will happen to you! Long live Karma.
- I’m a dog person, and a horse person, but definitely not a cat person.
- I’ve known Pelé’s real name since I was ten years old.
- Despite being a proud Canuck, I loathe the winter. My instinct is to hibernate at the first sign of snow.
- I used to wear Elizabeth Arden perfume “Beauty” so I could tell people I was wearing “Arden Beauty”.
- I’m anal about symmetry. If there are tops, there must be bottoms, angles must even out and sides must line up. It’s sad, I know but very true.
- I have an insatiable urge to discover the world – and write about it.
Greetings – and welcome to my blog.
I am a communications professional of another era – pre-blog, and pre-tweet – you know, the time when e-mailing was “in” and before instant messaging introduced acronyms like “lol”, “lmao”, “ttyl” into our everyday use of the English language. Omg… I know right? But it’s true. I developed my writing skills by compiling articles for non-profit organizations, documenting my travels around the world in lengthy e-mails that most people refused to read, and accepting freelance opportunities involving painful research for web content on asian videography and children’s health, while at the same time writing reviews on restaurants in and around Bavaria (a story for another day… when I have inspiration in the form of weissbier and bretzen to guide me through the post)
I currently work in Outreach for a travel magazine called Verge Magazine, and after completing a long but successful circuit of traveling from Vancouver to Toronto and Montreal promoting the Go Global Expo, I’m now enjoying some peace and quiet, determined to try out this “blog-sphere” I hear has come to dominate much of the inter-web. Oh, internet. My apologies. You see, I moved back to Toronto from Munich about a year ago, and when searching for a full time job as a writer/communications professional, I noticed a new demand for experience from freelance writers. Blogging was the new web content when it came to valuable, and marketable, writing experience. But I’d missed this new wave of social media that has slowly devoured North America! In Germany, Facebook was just growing in popularity and twitter had barely hit the shelves! Little did I know that back home, writers were chronicling their every day views on life, travel, society..you name it! And this was in demand? I was fascinated! And devastated. All that I knew was turned upside down and I slowly realized that one day, if I had any chance of developing professionally as an aspiring writer/communication’s professional, I would have to start a blog.
Welcome to my blog. Here you will find articles on travel, life on the move, and insights into what I deem worth writing about. I will wait to see what direction my blog takes, but I welcome you to join me in a journey of discovery – I will do my best not to let you down.